The roads were terrible and the first day they were wet!  Bill Sherborne's van
had a big motor and a positive-traction rear axle, plus it was nearly empty.
Nevertheless the van had to drive up some grades quite rapidly to make it.
Bill rode his motorcycle and Tom Iliffe (from Galveston) drove the van.  This
may have been Tom's first caving trip to Mexico.  As you may know, Dr. Iliffe
has become quite famous for his underwater cave biology studies.
Jim McLane