It was driving around in Purificación that prompted many of us to start carrying two spare tires. Many times people got sidewall cuts that could not be repaired. I remember a trip when Dale Pate had an explosive blow out and when we stopped to change the tire, we found a long blade of rock _inside_ the tire! One time Yvonne Droms and I limped out of the mountains on a badly sliced tire that I stuffed three tire plugs into side by side. It still leaked slowly, but I had a compressor and had to stop every hour or so and pump it back up. We made it out on our own after a whole series of travails.

Interesting fix for the broken U-bolt! I never heard of that failing before. Bill Farr did a comparably novel fix one time up at Cheve in Oaxaca. He broke some part of his front suspension such that one wheel would no longer stay in the proper position to drive. He used his winch to capture the broken parts and/or the axle and tension them back into a usable position. He made it out on his own. Cavers are definitely inventive when it comes to getting out of the wilderness!

Mark Minton

At 10:56 PM 10/27/2010, James McLane wrote:
The roads also feature incredibly sharp rocks that can slice up your tires. I had many adventures fixing vehicles up there. Once I sheared off the "U" bolts that attach the front axle to the leaf springs on one side of an International Scout. I was able to reattach the axle by tying it to the springs with a chain. The motorcycles were a much faster and smoother way to travel in those mountains than trucks, but the long distances made you worry about running out of gas.
Jim McLane

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org