>http://www.allbusiness.com/science-technology/behavior-cognition-psychology/13544176-1.html

Interesting article. I like how he mentioned looking back at landmarks to see what they look like from different perspectives. That's particularly important in caves, since passages and junctions often look very different on the way out compared to the way in. That's something we always point out to new cavers.

I personally never use GPS when I am hiking. I have a very good mental map of everywhere I walk, and can easily devise cross-country routes to get from one extreme point to another, even though I have never seen the intervening territory. I only use a GPS to record a specific location like a cave entrance for entry into a data base so others can record it and find it. If I end up backtracking for whatever reason, I am amazed at how often I go back over exactly the same terrain, passing specific rocks, trees, etc. without even trying I have noticed that this ability is far from universal, however. Several times I have been hiking with people and suggested cutting overland to get back at the end of the day, and had them be totally bewildered and genuinely concerned that we would get lost, even though it seemed totally obvious to me that going north, say, would get us back to where we needed to be. I'd hate to see this sort of seat-of-the-pants navigation be supplanted by technology like GPS, which will not work in some environments and not underground in any event.

Possibly the best example of this sort of navigation I know of was mentioned recently by Nancy Weaver. The Mexican guy who led us to a big pit-like karst feature (the previously known Caldera) in the El Abra in 1986 told us after the fact that he had been there only once previously 10 years earlier. That was a multi-hour hike over seemingly featureless terrain. Even I don't see how he did it.

Mark Minton