Add to this the requirement of two nights camping, plus restroom facilities and parking spots.

Preston, when was the last time you checked on how much it costs to rent such a facility for two days? It's not cheap, and only about 100-120 people show up at the TSA Convention, so you do not have the same economies of scale as TCR (typical attendance of 300+).

Diana

On Dec 2, 2009, at 4:02 PM, Preston Forsythe wrote:

Doesn't some caver own a field surrounded by a few trees? How big does it have to be? Three acres? Five acres would easily do it.

I went to one of the events a few years ago in April, it was west of San Marcos. Cost more than it should for only 2 or 3 days and I frankly do not know why? Everyone camped in a field of less than 2 acres. There was "one" ordinary KY style outhouse, certainly nothing fancy. And, there was a plain small 30 x 40 ft. building for presentations on Sat. I think all of that, including one meal, cost at least a thousand, maybe two thou. It fact a hat had to be passed around to break even. On Sunday the conservation meetings were conducted outside. What did we pay for except a place to park our vehicle?

Ediger, Ernie, Don or Raines, and others, I thought had several acres which could work, and they are centrally located in the state.

I have never understood why one of those events should cost $40-50 for two people for only 2 to 2 1/2 days.

Preston
-----------------------------------
----- Original Message -----
From: Denise P
To: TexasCavers
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 3:43 PM
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] 2010 TSA Spring Convention related

True.

I also suggested Flat Creek Ranch to Ellie. Might work.

Cheers,
Denise

Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 21:34:49 +0000
From: jran...@gmail.com
To: texascavers@texascavers.com

Having helped host far too many of these things my advice for Ellie was that she needed to do whatever worked best for her. If it meets her budget, her travel constraints, her whims etc than it is the right place. No matter what, someone will be unhappy.

By and far the biggest issue for spring convention has been finding an affordable site that meets all our needs. Colorado Bend typically would love for us to have functions there but the ceiling in the conference room is a bit low for presentations and close camping is problematic. CWAN is in a good location but has no potable water, dry weather only camping and we would have to work around the tours in the cave. Most of us loath the thought of going back to Kerrville after the bout of Irritable Caver Syndrome that hit us this summer. Sonora was fun but it is way the hell out in, well, Sonora! Cascade Caverns was pretty good but it required a ton of prep work and you might get shot. Albert cost us a small fortune. Burnett was fun but the divided camping and talks upset folks. I could go on and on.

We will have convention where ever Ellie finally finds a spot that works! If you don't like it run for TSA VP.

Joe

On Dec 2, 2009 3:26pm, Diana Tomchick <diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu > wrote:
> Stefan,
>

> Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose...sometimes the people in West Texas have to drive a long ways, sometimes the people in Houston have a long drive.
>

> Those of us in North Texas *always* have a long drive.
>

> If you're really a dedicated caver and enjoy going to the TSA Convention, you find a way to get there.
>

> Diana
>

> On Dec 2, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Stefan Creaser wrote:
>

> The biggest problem David is that it's over near Houston (I
>
> think that's what you said). That's a *long* way from the
>
> center of Texas, why would the people from West Texas want
>
> to drive all the way to East Texas?
>

> Also, you have to consider the cooks (I would say that...) we
>
> don't really want to cook under a tarp, some form of kitchen
>
> would be a lot nicer for the food we usually provide).
>

> Cheers,
>
> Stefan

Get gifts for them and cashback for you. Try Bing now.