Louise

From: gveni@warpdriveonline.comTo: texascavers@texascavers.comDate: Sun, 13 Jan
2008 16:34:33 -0700Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Thoughts on OT postings

Kara,

Possibly it was my message that made you feel “bullied.” That wasn’t my intent.
My basic message was that the listserver has rules. If we subscribe, we have an
obligation to follow them. To ignore them is disrespectful at best. Like you, I
value socializing with cavers about non-caving issues. But that isn’t what
TexasCavers.com was set up for. Yes, plastic bags, global warming, etc., do
affect cavers and everyone else on the planet, but those topics are not about
caving; they are not cave-related. Go to www.texascavers.com and you’ll see it
asks that postings be cave-related. Several times over the years people have
suggested that a listserver be set up for cavers who want to socialize on line
about non-caving items. I think that is an excellent idea and encourage someone
to do it. And people who want to socialize can then do so freely without
spamming those signed up for cave-related discussions.

George

-----Original Message-----From: Kara Savvas [mailto:misskarabi...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:57 PMTo: George NincehelserCc:
texascavers@texascavers.comSubject: Re: [Texascavers] Thoughts on OT postings

I have to agree with Mr. Nincehelser. The discussions I enjoy the most in life,
that are most likely to propel my interest in something worthwhile, do not
cling to the Safe and the Known and the Agreed Upon. And they often include, in
my own opinion,  lots of Annoying and Ridiculous and Controversy and even
Tangents, most especially when they involve other cavers!! (Haven't you noticed
that?) Thank goodness I can use my ability to excuse myself from a conversation
when it takes an unproductive turn. Thank goodness life isn't moderated to the
point of constant comfort and familiarity.Sometimes respectfulness is
challenging. I'm glad I've had more than two chances to get it right. I'm not
saying that's a blank check for disrespect, I'm just saying that being good at
it is a learning process, and I trust that most of us are trying to get there.
In the meantime, and this is also a challenge for even the best of us - try not
to take stuff too personally, especially when it comes from a bunch of yahoos
on the Internet. (that's a joke, folks. We're all yahoos, get it? Ha ha. Oh
come on, If you can't laugh at yourself....)

Educational journals are made up of completely topic oriented, educational
articles from experts and experienced members of the field. Communities are
made up of humans - angry, helpful, unprofessional, experienced, opinionated,
curious, learned, mistaken, giving, uninformed, kind, supportive, different,
smart, annoying. I don't ever feel a bond to the educational  and caving
journals I receive at home. They have never delivered soup to me when I was
sick, or offered me comfort, or shared my joys in life, even if we don't
regularly 'get along'.

And Frankly, evolution, plastic bags, and global warming are completely
relevant in this forum, as they have an impact on us as cavers, scientists, on
caves themselves, and as people who enjoy the natural world and want to know
more about it, and want that kind of education available to future generations.
I appreciate the people who don't shy away from talking about it. No one has a
monopoly on knowing what's relevant and important, and no one should.
Hopefully, the desire to strive for respectfulness is the only thing we should
all agree on.

I guess if this really is the end of OT (which, from the looks of the last 9
out of 12 posts, thank goodness it isn't) it is time for someone like me to
excersize that ability to walk away, and decide if it isn't time to take a
break from it, and enjoy an unrestrained caving community exchange elsewhere,
but I also didn't want to be bullied into feeling irelevant for enjoying the
OT's. I considered shutting up, but that's not my way, so thanks for letting me
have my say - I believe dissent is important.

Kara