On 2008-04-19 20:52 +1200, Bruce Mutton wrote:
> which brings me
> to the single biggest hurdle that continues to dog me with Therion - how to
> arrange ones data?  I realise there's probably about 50 good ways to do
> this, depending on ones needs and expectations, and some are described very
> vaguely in the documentation.  I think I'm heading towards a reasonable
> strategy that's scalable from single caves to 60km systems with numerous
> small surficial caves nearby.  When I've got the bugs ironed out I'll see if
> I can get something into the Wiki.  Probably in the form of some actual
> data, suitably scrambled so that it does not reflect a real cave, and with
> commonly used statements pre-entered and commented and well documented.
>
> If anyone has already documented a Therion data management system I would be
> most interested.

The mulu project considered this at length a couple of years ago and
came up with a couple of approaches. These were confined by the fact
that the base centreline data was entered as Survex data, not as
therion data, and this makes things much more finiky. We did get it
all working eventually, but the people who ran the project eventually
decided they didn't like therion ('too complicated') and have gone
back to paper drawing (!), so my efforts on it kind of stopped.

I'm not sure if our final conclusions are properly documented anywhere
other than as our existing dataset, although you can probably infer
some of it from threads on this list. What there is may be the 'vague'
stuff on the wiki.

The optimium method if exclusivley using Therion would be different
(and simpler).

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/