On 27.4.2008, at 23:08, Bruce Mutton wrote:

> As a new user a diagrammatic illustration of the ‘structure’ and
> perhaps itemized lists of what goes where, with some comprehensive
> example batch file contents would have helped me, and still would.

Bruce,

only short answer. We all have experience with our particular cave
system or areas. They are very very different.

Therion was developed for documentation of quite complicated cave
with many levels overlapping each other. It works in many other cases
depending on imagination of its user.

The main principle is that the map itself is divided into small
pieces - scraps. The scraps are absolutely independent from survey
structure created more or less historically. You may use in one scrap
data from several surveys made historically in very long interval by
different surveyors. Only condition is all the data are accessible in
survey which include the map structure with that particular scrap.

The main rules to create such structure is to divide the system into
horizontal layers (in case of map) which the atlas will be able to
recognize and shows in enough simple way. There one may see the
importance of idea of scraps -you may reorganize your structure
anytime in the future.

The main problem is organize the maps and submaps. The structure of
survey data itself is existing more or less automatically.

I hope MartinB or Stacho may add more.

Martin