Hello everyone -

I need to make the legend on a map larger.  The cave has grown to nearly 3km
of passage, and even when printed on 60cm x 100cm paper the legend is too smal
to read.  Even a magnifying glass does not help!

I referred to a thread from about two years ago which discusses this subject.
Henry Bennett provided a combination of MetaPost and TeX code that is supposed
to make the legend larger.  It works ...  Sort of!  Much is left out.

Here is the code I have in the layout section of my thconfig file:

# Change the size of the legend
code metapost
   def draw_legend_box =
       %make the objects in the legend boxes bigger
        currentpicture := currentpicture scaled 5.0;
        clip currentpicture to unitsquare scaled 10u;
        drawoptions();
        pickup PenB;
        draw unitsquare scaled 10u ;
    enddef;

    %clear the background of the larger legend boxes
    def clean_legend_box =
        unfill unitsquare scaled 10u;
    enddef;

    %change the value of inscale to fill the legend boxes
    def inscale =
        xscaled legend_scale yscaled (0.6*legend_scale)
        %xscaled legend_scale yscaled legend_scale
    enddef;
endcode

code tex-map
  \def\maplayout{
    \legendbox{3}{65}{W}{
      \legendwidth 80 cm
      \legendtextsize={\size[74]}
      \hsize=\legendwidth
      \northarrow\bigskip
      \the\cavename
      \the\comment
      \input th_legend
      }
  }
endcode

The legend that results from this is about the right size.  However, only the
symbol table is enlarged.  The north arrow is still too small and everything
else that is supposed to be in the legend is missing.   The attached screen
shot shows what I get.

The Therion Book has a section describing the TeX macros that can be used.  It
looks like the documentation is not complete.  Some of the macros are shown
with options and parameters, but not all.  There are samples on the Wiki that
show additional options.  Is there a document that describes ALL of the
options and parameters for the TeX macros?

How are the parameters in the MetaPost section of the code related?  Looking
at the legend I get, I see that the boxes enclosing each symbol are about the
right size but the symbols drawn in them are (in some cases) too small.
Look at the symbols for pillar and stalagmite, for example.  Others, like the
pendant (a user-defined symbol) are too large.  Which of the MetaPost lines
control that?

Does anyone have suggestions about what I am missing?

If anyone wants to see the full map, let me know.  It is nearly 3mb as a PDF,
so I don't want to send it to the entire group.

Thanks!

--
Bill Gee