Hi Tarquin,

Adding the option -outline out to the (closed) line of  your pit on the top scrap should create the whole that you want in the blue color so that you will see the green color of the bottom scrap. Personally, I would not use a line pit in the bottom scrap (this is not a pit on the floor of that level) but rather a line of type ceiling-step  to indicate the arrival of the top pit on the ceiling.

Hope this helps

Xavier