>>     Perhaps a way forward would be a feature whereby a passage fill area
>>     be defined that is completely transparent to show any scraps that
>>     happen to pass below it.
>

> Genius! I really want this feature. Don't know if it is possible, but I
> want it anyway.

-outline hollow -fillstation 23

meaning that wherever there is nothing behind it, it should take its
colour from station 23. but that would mean it is impossible to colour
unless there is a relevant station in the same survey (no idea of how to
mix stations). And if there are three passages stacked under each other
at the pitch (which is the case for one of mine), then it might think it
doesn't need to render the fill colour because there is a passage there,
even though the pitch doesn't actually connect to that passage. So there
would be some kinks to work out.