> If the two scraps are in the same map layer (i.e. not separated by a break
> line in the map definition) then the upper scrap will completely hide any
> part of the lower scrap which passes under it.

> So the lower scrap curved outline of the pit bottom can be quickly drawn a
> bit larger than the curved line of the pit in the upper scrap, as any overlap
> will be hidden.

Not sure I've experienced that behaviour, but then I always have - transparency
on with a midrange opacity set.  Scraps on the same layer that overlap tend to
render poorly with those settings.

>>     Perhaps a way forward would be a feature whereby a passage fill area

>>     be defined that is completely transparent to show any scraps that

>>     happen to pass below it.

I imagine that at the time a scrap is rendered, the code  cannot know whether
there will be a scrap below/behind.   But I don't know.

But still, maybe...

area open(ing)

                -place bottom #always

                -clip on #always

                -visibility [on|off] #off effectively disables the 'opening'
effect, as though the area was not specified at all

                -fill-* # background colour in the ‘opening’ as below

               ... border line references ...

endarea

I imagine the opacity of the 'area open' could be set to some fraction of the
opacity set for the current layout.  That would give the relative impression of
transparency, and would let the colour of the passage below bleed through.  It
could be a default setting, or user definable.

To account for scenarios where there is no passage surveyed or drawing
immediately below, or if Therion indeed cannot know whether there will be a
scrap rendered below the current scrap, there could be -fill-* options to set
the underlying colour.

It would need to accommodate the -lookup -map-fg options
<https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/examples?s%5b%5d=lookup#colour_scales_-_lookups>
  that apply to the layout, and respond appropriately to a user input.

ie

colour map-fg altitude would need area open to accept say -fill-station
23@survey02, or

                                -fill-altitude 850 m, or

                                -fill-colour [r g b]

colour map-fg explo-date or topo-date would need area open to accept say
-fill-survey survey02 *, or

                                                                -fill-date
<date>, or

                                                                -fill-colour [r
g b]

* each centreline or subsurvey could have a different date, so I guess it would
just average the date of all centrelines in the survey.

colour map-fg map or scrap would need area open to accept say -fill-map or
fill-scrap <map or scrap name>, or

                                                                -fill-colour [r
g b]

I guess multiple fill colour options could be set in any one area, and options
inappropriate to the current lookup would be silently ignored, and the last
valid fill-option defined would be the one implemented for a particular area at
compile time.

This arrangement would allow the user to easily specify outputs that would be
consistent across a number of different selection, map, lookup and export
scenarios.

Its getting complicated now.  Sorry coders…

Bruce

>>     Perhaps a way forward would be a feature whereby a passage fill area

>>     be defined that is completely transparent to show any scraps that

>>     happen to pass below it.

> Genius! I really want this feature. Don't know if it is possible, but

> I want it anyway.

-outline hollow -fillstation 23

meaning that wherever there is nothing behind it, it should take its colour
from station 23. but that would mean it is impossible to colour unless there is
a relevant station in the same survey (no idea of how to mix stations). And if
there are three passages stacked under each other at the pitch (which is the
case for one of mine), then it might think it doesn't need to render the fill
colour because there is a passage there, even though the pitch doesn't actually
connect to that passage. So there would be some kinks to work out.