>> So I can replicate the effect for both the scenarios you describe using my
>> usual 'loop-closure survex' in therion.ini.
>> If I switch to 'loop-closure therion' then both scenarios give co-incident
>> stations 1a and 1b, which I believe is what you are after.
>
> Oh! That's weird. Survex calculates it correctly when I use it in a
> Survex file with separate begin/end sections, so I don't think the bug
> is there (but maybe Therion puts it into a certain structure that
> confuses Survex).
>
> Perhaps Olli or Wookey might have some insight into why Therion gets it
> wrong when using Survex for loop closure...

I have worked out (I think) what Therion is doing wrong. Only the values
in the last centreline section get used for the fix of a point that
appears in multiple centreline sections. So in my demonstration, it uses
the last three, and not the first one, for fixing point 1b.

This could be because when using Survex, it is processing the centreline
blocks in reverse order, and either issuing a "*solve" command between
them, or just taking the result as a non-modifiable result (so it
ignores it when the next centreline block tries to modify it). Eg. this
could happen if it is considering each centreline block individually
instead of all at once.

That sounds like a recipe for hidden faults like this, so I do hope it
is not something fundamental in the way Therion handles things. I also
wonder how many other things will be secretly ignored.

https://github.com/therion/therion/issues/269