Hi Mat!
It sounds to me as though you're looking for two separate, though
related, things (but possibly more!):
1. (Retroactively) add tags to existing tiddlers.
2. From now on, automatically add certain tags when creating new
tiddlers
If you'd prefer (manual) checkboxes to the more automatic AutoTagger,
I can think of a couple of other options:

For the first task: the script you found (I recognized it because I
was the one who requested it) was one that Eric offered for changing/
adding custom fields to existing tiddlers. It was extremely useful for
making one-time, global changes, and it certainly could be tweaked so
that it would affect tags instead of fields.  But you could also use
the CheckboxPlugin and a forEachTiddler macro and check the boxes
yourself, as in:
<<forEachTiddler where 'tiddler.tags.containsAll(["Private",
"MyStuff"])'
write '"|<<checkbox [["+tiddler.title+"|Encrypt(foo)]]$))|
[["+tiddler.title+"]]|[["+tiddler.tags.join("]], [[")+"]]|\n"' begin
'"|Add Encrypt(foo)|Title|Tags|h\n"'>>

For the second part: if you're using mptw, you could take advantage of
the ToggleTag and HideWhen plugins and add something to your
ViewTemplateToolbar like:
macro="toggleTag Encrypt(foo)"></span></span>
macro="toggleTag Encrypt(bar)"></span></span>
cmari