Thanks for all the ideas here - much appreciated. What I've found so
far is:

- I use ASCIIMathML and the HTMLArea editor which require code in
MarkupPostBody and MarkupPreHeader. If I remove this code then the
HTMLArea wysiwyg editor is no longer invoked (I presume that means
I've removed the code that invokes it successfully) but the slow
performance persists.

- I also opened an Asciencpad file since that uses a version of
HTMLArea and ASCIIMathML too. It performed fine with no adverse
effects on the CPU.

- bearing in mind that disabling all my plugins doesn't solve the
problem either and that my TW's aren't huge (my main test TW is 888K)
I'm quite intrigued that I can switch so much off and still tie up the
CPU. Those IE6 challenges with slow javascript are starting to look
suspicious now although I don't understand why Asciencepad will run
OK!

- Although I'm no longer suspicious of sync since it does nothing
unless invoked manually, I checked the macro error and it merely says
"Error while executing macro <<sync>>: [object error]"

- I opened a raw TW without any performance problems. I imported all
tiddlers from a TW which performs slowly, saved and reloaded. The new
TW then performed poorly and tied up the CPU

- My main test TW holds approx 160 tiddlers including approx 30
plugins.

- My TWs are built from a master which has approx 100 tiddlers
including the same 30 plugins. So I must have around 60 content
tiddlers.

- The ASCIIMathML is displayed (in IE at least) by the MathPlayer.
This is uptodate and works on other sites. In practice I don't think
it's part of the issue because I'm not actually displaying any maths
when the problems begin and its initial splash screen is not displayed
even allowing for the poor performance.

- Just in case it's significant, I'll note that there's a short period
of about a second or two when the TW has opened and displayed the sole
default tiddler and when CPU usage drops and mouse responses are
normal. Only a second or so later does CPU rise and mouse response
takes minutes.

- I've yet to find out how to check which hotfixes I have but will do
that soon.

- I've begun to explore javascript slowness on Google but need to
spend more time on that. I'm really hoping that's not the problem
because it suggests that my ability to use my TWs is at the whim of
hotfixes. I also use my work PC and do not have complete control over
what is applied and when.

- If I attempt to paste into the editing area in FireFox I get the
error about unprivileged scripts being unable to access copy, cut and
paste for security reasons. I've seen material somewhere on how to fix
this on a single PC but it sounds a bit nightmarish if I want to share
my TWs.

With all this in mind I'll therefore explore the issues around
javascript slowness in ie6 and see what I can learn about my hotfixes.

Thanks

Kevin