I second that the way to work on this is as set of plugins and a theme that
comprise a new vertical edition. Low fidelity prototyping only gets you so
far. After enough real world testing and usage in the wild, learnings can
be considered for adoption into the core.

It is worth remembering that for the core we have to keep in mind the needs
for backwards compatibility, which apply to some extent to UI as well. It
does not mean changes cannot be made, but rather that they would need to be
well thought out, tested and possibly part of a larger set of layout
changes that warranted breaking backwards compatibility.

Working on this a separate vertical edition does not suffer any similar
constraints and will get the ball rolling as well. While Jeremy's input is
always valuable, in no way is progress on this front dependent on him.

In terms of implementation:
- there are a few solutions I have seen for adding/editing tags in the view
template posted to this group. My own is visible in the hangouts video
recently posted. All are relatively trivial to implement.

- at some point I worked on a in-place edit feature for the text of a
tiddler, which was then abandoned in favour of my Notation editor. The key
there is that even with an in-place edit, what gets edited is not the same
tiddler but a draft of it. This preserves the draft features of the core,
avoids refresh issues and lets you cancel without saving changes. I can try
to dig up my old code if necessary, but this isn't difficult.

Hope this helps,
Saq