Thanks Dave: i followed your guidance (was *pretty* sure last time, but
this time there is no doubt: i took the correct pill, the one without the
tutorial tiddlers) and got the same result:  Muffin 1 and Dave Gifford
tiddlers are back again.

Interestingly, i get a different view in Tiddly Desktop: there, i don't see
either those two tiddlers, NOR do i see the two-pane editing tool, even
though that box- i.e. "show right column for second story" -is ticked in
the Tools control panel.
Q: Can it be the case that this tool is not compatible with Tiddly Desktop
editor?

(I hope not, because i am for multiple good reasons very attached to Tiddly
Desktop... But if i had to switch over to browser to enjoy the two column
editing feature, i guess i could live with that. )