Eric,

For older dates I have being setting them to 12pm "Noon" eg YYYMMDD1200...
such that even if UTC is or is not applied the ±12 hours does not change
the date according to the time of day. (There may be a daylight savings
time ±13 occur)

   - So in many cases I have a date field independent of date\time that I
   just never display with a timezone.

This seemed an acceptable and logical work around to me, picking the time
in the middle of a date if I do not care about time of day.

Hidden in a serial number date if it has say seconds and milliseconds all
zero's, I take this to mean a set date/time, rather than an "organically"
captured date. One could test for this and not apply a time offset to such
dates.

Regards
Tony