I don't (yet) understand enough about the tech to know which of your two
possible approaches to upgrade would work better, Soren, but it looks to me
like the central challenge is how to distinguish between two different
sources of content -i.e. Author and User- correct? If so, this puts me to
wonder if maybe that "Username for signing edits" parameter that sits right
under Title & Subtitle params in the ControlPanel might be a key to solving
the problem.

This leads straight into your Q: "Would takeaways, snippets, and notes on
completed exercises cover it for you, or were you hoping to be able to add
other tiddlers of your own?" Again: it is still early in the game for me to
answer this with confidence, but i feel at this point like i need to be
adding some tiddlers -"intertwingled" with Author's content, naturally- for
reasons i hope you can understand. To explain about this, two cases i'm
presently dealing come to mind:

1. There is the issue of "Naming Conventions" : an essential feature of the
problem-space that is wiki, which you treat very well in the so-named
tiddler. I moreover appreciated the link provided to your Zettelkasten
<https://zettelkasten.sorenbjornstad.com/#OurNamingConventions>, which i
would call a good example of Best Practice... And yet my own particular
example is going to differ somewhat, for reasons i would like to document
in context of this book, which has to work as a standalone entity, even in
offline mode. This leads me into the next case.

2. Mobile Application: As mentioned earlier in this thread, i want this
book working on my tablet in uncompromised (i.e. fully interactive) form,
so i can take it to bed or to the beach or anyplace i want even w/o
internet connection. In my case, the solution is Quine2 app on iPad -a
niche case perhaps, which you may or may not choose to address in future
revision- while Stan has a somewhat different mobile scenario calling for a
different solution... And in any case, we must all build our own particular
workflows around some combination of purposes and tools and constraints
that maybe nobody else in the world will share.

I will sum up by saying @Soren : what you've created in GTW is not just
another book, but rather a platform for TW learners to make their way up
the learning curve by building their own "Scaffolding" (a term of art in
current learning theory, as i expect you probably know) as they go, so...
Our challenge here is to find a way that we can integrate whatever
improvements you make to the platform, without compromising the scaffolding
we users have built on previous versions of it.

I hope this makes sense, and is something that can be easily-enough
developed w/ the existing tech, because that will make of GTW a real
breakthrough work -not only here in the TW community, but moreover in the
wider world of educational tech, where such tools are sorely needed.

/walt