This sounds like symbolic links vs hard links in file systems. If you
change the name of the file that a symbolic link (or shortcut in Windows)
points to, it breaks. If you change the name of a file that a hard link
points to it doesn't break . The reason for this is that the hardlink
doesn't point to the copy of the changable name of the file, it points to a
common inode that the other file (with the name changed) points to also. So
they are pointing to a common source.

This leads to a similar solution as in file systems. Maybe tiddlers need an
abstraction later where the immutable tiddler is like an inode and all
renameable tiddlers are just all-field-trancluded inode-tiddlers.

You could assign a randomized name to the immutable tiddler but if you want
to go further, the names of the inode tiddlers can be a content hash ...
maybe a SHA-1 of the tiddler contents ... so if the tiddler content
changes, you can relink the hardlink-tiddlers to the new
contenthash-tiddler. Then if you want to set up a permalink, it will use
the contenthash-tiddler name. Then you can be guaranteed that the
it still exists ... and not just to a ephemeral name.

But this is actually sounding a little bit like git. It does offer some
pretty lightweight revision tracking possibilities though.

I don't think setting up a "redirect" is too tough though depending on the
scope ... it is essentially just opening up the tiddler you want to rename,
ctrl-A, ctrl-E, put in a new name and pick transclusion or macro ...
although the other non-text fields wouldn't get excised+transcluded. Maybe
there is a need for a "_content" field that acts like a _canonical_URI
field but local to the tiddlywiki and replaces all the fields in the
hardlink-tiddler with that of the tidder in the "_content" field.

Maybe this is crazy-talk.

/Mike