Definitely more concise with fewer square brackets going on.

My challenge is it makes it harder to make a one-to-one relationship
between the "bubbles" in the diagram and the pieces related to the
bubbles.  Kind of like I'm playing a  game of "Where's Waldo".

But that's part and parcel of my cognitive disability.

I think loads of folk would appreciate your less verbose approach.  Thanks !