That's great!

> Which options do you think should be persistent, and which options
> should be in cookies?

This depends on the use of TW. If it's a document "for myself", most
of things should be backed, including authorName, autoSave,
RegExpSearch, probably sliders' states. AutoSave is most important
since some browsers (including Opera) don't notify when you close a tw-
document without saving. On the other hand, if TW is used as a site
(or part of a site) most of them should be cookie-based because they
are for users.

> Which should take precedence a persistent option or a cookie? That
> is should a persistent option overwrite an option previously set in a
> cookie, or should the cookie value take precedence?

I think this worths adding one more option. If you do so, when TW is
used just by the author, it should be set so that backed ones are
precedence. For use as a site, it's just switching that option that's
enough to work it properly.

Now, let's consider a situation if a tw-document is used by a team of
editors. This goes more complicated. I think each author should have
some structure describing his or her preferences, like a
author_name_SystemSettings tiddler (and perhaphs
group_name_SystemSettings). The thing is, TW should somehow recognize
the author. This can be done either manually (by some sort of
authentication) or automatically (based on cookies, I guess). As for
now, I don't see any beatiful solution..