This is a very nice enhancement indeed.

The syntax however is i.m.h.o. somewhat confusing. Why append the
option-name with "_cookie:"?
a) to me it looks like an unnecessary complication of the syntax.
b) the syntax more or less suggests (because of the closing colon)
that you could still provide a value, which is illogical.

So why not simply stick to the original syntax of
"option-name: value" or
"option-name=value"
in which value can be "cookie", "true", "false" or a real value (like
e.g. in "txtUserName").

W.r.t. the discussion about the preference: cookie vs SystemSettings I
would like to suggest 2 possible solutions.
Either:
SystemSettings take preference when viewed over HTTP, whilst when
opened from a local file the cookies take preference. This gives
maximum control for the author/owner.
Or:
The SystemSettings enhancement is even further enhanced by being able
to have 2 sets of system-settings: one options-set for viewing over
HTTP and one for local use from a file.

I fully support the earlier suggestions from AlanBCohen and
"whatever", to make cookies dependent on the filename of the TW-file.
So every TW-file gets its own cookies.

P.S. This whole contribution is written based on experience with
independent TWs; I have no knowledge of or experience with
TiddlySpace.

Thanks to all involved for again having a great TW release.