I agree with Alan on using filename as part of the cookie name or
perhaps a random ID. Recently, I had four different TWs open, and the
username was same in all of them, even though it wasn't supposed to
be.
As for which should take precedence, I think the cookies. I mean, you
set some default persistent options for yourself, which are supposed
to be valid most of the time. But perhaps you want to temporarily
change one of those options, which you can do with a cookie. Or, to
make the discussion void, you could simply add an option for the users
to decided for themselves (which would be a persistent option in
itself :D).