On Thu, 10 Nov 2011, Jeremy Ruston wrote:

The core of Mile's observation applies to both of us, though: we're
trying to secure a long term model for supporting ourselves while we
work on the software. I guess your point is that if either of us
failed to establish a viable model, then it shouldn't necessarily
imply the death of the software.

Not only should it not imply the death of the software, I think if it
even worries people about the death of the software, then there is
something very unhealthy happening in the community.

But beyond that I think it is important to keep in mind that though
I'm currently employed as a creator of a tiddly-related code I do not
believe that what I'm paid for is the code itself. The code is free,
it is merely an expression of my expertise. It is the expertise and
associated experience which is being paid for.

When you, Eric, I or anyone else is paid to improve tiddly* it is
because the payer needs it in either a faster or more direct way than
the community can provide OR they are doing what they feel is just in
the face of value they are getting from the community. Organizations
like BT, in general, can use money more easily than they can perform
the committed community participation that individuals provide in the form
of use, bug reporting, documentation, community assistance and plain
ol' writing code.

In the end, whatever the currency, the value obtained is membership and
participation.

--
Chris Dent                                   http://burningchrome.com/
                                [...]