Thanks Daniel.
I wish it would....just work - as it did before for me:
It's possible to get UploadPlugin working (that's what tiddlyspot uses, I think it was the precursor to TiddlyHome), it's just quite frustrating to get everything set up exactly right.
It is indeed difficult to get working when changes occur and it just fails without any visible explanation or error messages for the user to see and share.

OK, I'll confess !!:
.... especially if you're travelling and are using a public/borrowed computer or whatever.
My 'travel' destinations are usually the same, and I have tolerant friends who allow me to leave behind a copy of older version of Firefox Portable for when I visit - as that is what I prefer to use to help with my poor eyesight.

Thank you, I understand & agree with your point here:
If you really want to get something working -- TiddlyHome or UploadPlugin or whatever -- you can generally get answers to specific questions easier than just asking "what am I doing wrong". E.g. you referred to a store.php / TWC setup that you couldn't get working.. what happened instead of it working? Errors in the browser? In your server's apache log (or nginx log or whatever), was the store.php file accessed at all? Did it log an error?
In the past there was never any visible error anyplace that was visible to me, and I've not known where to look or what to look for in any logs thus far.

Most recently I did a test with the help of my hosting's support guy, and he made some security change which then let things become somewhat more visible to me.

This time it said 'about to upload...' - then it showed a dialog box with the full contents of store.php 100% visible in it with the yellow triangle/exclamation thingy, and it's title bar saying 'javascript application', and an OK button.

Once that is clicked another box appears saying 'failed to save'.

This happens whether $AUTHENTICATE_USER is set to false or true - and no matter which user/ PW combo is used.

If it could somehow be made to work without credentials at all, I suspect it might begin doing what Måns and others have said it should do so easily...

A very noble and respectable avocation I would say:
Simon and I made tiddlyspot partly because at the time all other TW serversides were complicated and annoying. So we made a system that swallowed down all the giant mouthfuls of complication and annoyance, and gave people a clean, simple experience..
Kudos to you for such a good work, Daniel and Simon !!

Golly, this made me giggle, thanks !!!:
sounds like that's what you want, you just want it on your server. I reckon it'd take maybe 1 month to get tiddlyspot's code to the point where we can release it as a friendly open source product -- if you can provide funding, I'll schedule the time
I'm just one, old guy with a very bad memory, crippled hands and who has been forcibly retired by life-threatening illness - who happens to be living off what is left of his life savings for as long as possible and who makes a few bucks now and then from odd jobs - if I had a few thousand $$$ to toss at this though, I actually would as I believe it is a worthwhile thing that would serve many folks despite it's being "old" (like me ?!?).

In my POV, this is why Onenote & Evernote appear to be doing well as 'services' - because if there was any way for folks to use something like Softaculous to make TWC (old as it is) to get up & running for remote usage on their hosting - they would prefer it the same as I know I would.

Thanks, but=>
but I reckon tw5 will eventually do all the things you want it to, and then you'll be looking for a tw5 server :)
Nope. Ain't happenin'. I've tried to see what it is and looks like, but could not. It doesn't even open in my choice of elderly browser - and that is where I draw the line (and I know I am not alone in such preferences - though most will go silent rather than to admit such things as openly as I do).

Thanks Again Daniel.

mark