Hi cmari

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM, cmari <cema...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since I said I thought it would be "daunting" (after seeing that there
> were 1200 instances of "tw-" in my file), I'm coming back to report that
> search/replace in a text editor made things relatively easy.  Half the
> instances of "tw-" were related to tw-scholar, so I changed those to
> something else temporarily.  The examples in the release notes and the list
> of messages in tiddlywiki.com helped with most of the rest.

Great, glad it went OK.

> The only slightly confusing thing (to me) was config-toolbar, which I
> thought might need to be separately treated because it appears as part of
> both a message and a class.  It does still seem a bit counter-intuitive
> that the class name uses the tv- prefix (tv-config-toolbar-class), rather
> than tc-, but it certainly makes the search/replace process easier.

Ah, what's going on there is subtle: "tv-config-toolbar-class" is the name
of a variable that contains one or classnames to be applied to any toolbar
buttons that are in its scope. So, if you put <<tv-config-toolbar-class>>
in a new tiddler on tiddlywiki.com you'll see "tc-btn-invisible", which is
the actual classname that is applied.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

> cmari
>

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Jeremy Ruston <jeremy.rus...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Danielo
>>
>> Apologies, I didn't mean to imply that the actual task of adapting code
>> for 5.0.16 is trivial, just that the nature of the changes is relatively
>> straightforward because they are regular changes.
>>
>> A tool that does the search and replacing may be feasible. In some cases
>> there may still need to be manual intervention/verification, I guess.
>>
>> Right now upgrader modules don't get told the version number of the
>> incoming TW document, which would be needed in this case so that the
>> upgrader can determine whether or not to make the replacements for a
>> certain tiddler.
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Jeremy

>>> It can sound trivial from a human perspective, but it is not fro an
>>> automatic process. How can you distinguish between a class, a variable and
>>> a message? The only reliable way is to have a list of the old messages and
>>> its new equivalent. If you have that list already , or at least a list of
>>> the old ones classified by classes.
>>>
>>> Maybe you can consider include that list in the upgrade mechanism and
>>> let it make the search and replace.
>>>

>> --
>> Jeremy Ruston
>> mailto:jeremy.rus...@gmail.com