Hi Christoph,

> But a few days ago, I encountered saving problems in my wiki, all of a
> sudden. Saving always worked so far, and I have the TiddlySaver.jar file in
> the folder, to enable saving via Safari and Chrome, both which I use
> (mostly Safari). The problems occured out of the blue: I was working on my
> wiki offline, while on the train to work. It saved normally first.

So, you haven't updated Java that time, right? Were you working with TW
only, or did some other activities? Were you online?

What's the size of your biggest tiddler (number of symbols)?

> But when I tried to save a second time after doing some more changes,
> nothing worked anymore with the saving feature. Since then, I tried
> everything there is to fix the problem. Here are a few information about my
> TiddlyWiki configuration and what I tried so far:
>
> My TiddlyWiki:
> - I don't know the exact version I use (is there a way to check?), but I
> know I haven't used the upgrade feature ever while working with it. Still
> never had problems though.

use the <<version>> macro to find out

> - I use a german translation plugin, created at some point back then.
> - I have many Tiddlers using german umlauts (ä., ö, ü, ß). More on that
> later.
> - I use the HaemoglobinTheme and have it tweaked a little, in terms of
> colours and a custom sidebar

these things shouldn't matter, I think

> - I have the following Plugins installed: AttachFile, AttachFileFormat,
> MapPlugin, CheckboxPlugin, PlayerPlugin, Slideshow, TableOfContents,
> sortableTable. I downloaded them all from the TiddlyTools.com website back
> then (must have been years ago).

what's the size of your TW? of the largest attachment? AttachFile seems to
be most suspicious, in terms of saving problems, in your assembly.

> - At least three of them (CheckboxPlugin, sortableTable and
> TableOfContents I find pretty much essential for my wiki work)
> - I have many pictures in my wiki and keep them stored in an "images"
> folder in the same folder as my wiki
> - I always made use of the backup option, so I had various .html versions
> of my wiki stored. I deleted them regularly.

just in case, check your backup folder

> - My starting page uses a html div-script. but only this one.

this is not quite clear, could you provide more details?

> - I used Dropbox to keep my wiki synchronized on two machines, but I keep
> Dropbox offline recently, due to space reasons

but your TWs are still in Dropbox folder? If so, try another one (may be
Dropbox prevents the folder to grow even without syncing)

> - So, I work on my wiki on two computers, bot MacBooks with Safari 5.1.10
> and OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.8)
>
> I don't know much about OS X, so you'd better ask somebody if, say, Java
can be updated without you knowing it in this OS.

> What I've tried so far:
> - I've tried jumping on the TW5 train... TW5 managed to import the
> tiddlers I've created over the years, but as none of my plugins work with
> this version and I don't think there are replacements yet, I'll refrain
> from using it. I realized that I find the new saving system weird as well,
> with the wiki downloading a new copy everytime you save, which you have to
> relocate to your folder. It's cumbersome.
> - I've tried to exchange the TiddlySaver file for a newer one. No change.
> - I've tried to migrate my wiki files to the newest available TiddlyWiki
> Classic version. That didn't work at all. No matter what I do, the empty
> wiki just doesn't import my tiddlers, always with the same error: "Error
> retrieving tiddlers from local file, please make sure the file is in the
> same directory as your TiddlyWiki." And what can I say, it is.
> - I've tried this in all browsers inmagineable, except Internet Explorer,
> 'coz Microsoft doesn't support it anymore. I cleared the cache of
> everything, tweaked the browser preferences, everything. Nothing for the
> better.

Is there FireFox version for OS X?

Ok, let's start with that.

Best regards,