Hi Christoph,

> So, you haven't updated Java that time, right? Were you working with TW
>> only, or did some other activities? Were you online?
>>

> No I didn't update Java, but OS X tells you when there is a new version
> and asks you to download it, I suppose (or does it automatically, once you
> run the software update application of the OS - so yeah, there might have
> been an update of Java and I didn't realize). I also installed Java Vesion
> 17 on my drive manually, but the problem didn't get solved through this.
>

> Actually, updating Java can break elder TiddlySavers and I'm using an
outdated version -- that's why I've asked about updating. But as you were
not online, that shouldn't be the source of the issue (unless the update
could be pre-downloaded and installed by the system without you knowing it).

> What's the size of your biggest tiddler (number of symbols)?
>>

> Looking at my wiki, I think my biggest Tiddler has about 65000 Symbols
>

> But that tiddler was created previously, right? Just for the record, I had
problems in TW+Opera once when I had a big tiddler (tests showed that it
had to be ~32000 symbols to cause the bug), but the bug was data corruption
on saving, not being unable to save. Anyway, if I understood you correctly,
you have now problems with all your TWs, so it shouldn't be the problem
caused by a certain wiki/its content.

Speaking of which: you are using TiddlySaver for saving, right?

> use the <<version>> macro to find out
>>

> Okay, my Version number is 2.5.6
>
> A side note: since the 2.8.1 version, there's the "download saving"
fallback in the core.

>> what's the size of your TW? of the largest attachment? AttachFile seems
>> to be most suspicious, in terms of saving problems, in your assembly.
>>

> My wiki has a size of about 2,4 mb. Yet, while I have the attach file
> plugin installed, I don't have any files attached yet. It was installed
> just in case.
>

> I see. You'd better test AttachFilePlugin after the main issue is
resolved: as far as I understand, AttachFilePlugin no longer works because
of browsers' security restrictions.

>> just in case, check your backup folder
>>

> I haven't filled in the backup folder box in the options menu in my wiki
> and that hasn't been necessary so far. I tried to fill it in, but that
> didn't solve my problem. Originally, the wiki created a backup file in the
> same folder as the wiki file. The backup files had titles showing the name
> of my wiki file, plus a long number. But they worked, when I wanted to open
> them.
>

>> - My starting page uses a html div-script. but only this one.
>>>

>> this is not quite clear, could you provide more details?
>>

> It's a div style element... It includes formated text and a picture,
> loaded from the internet and put in the background of the text. It looks
> like this:

> calligraphy;font-style:italic;font-size:12.5pt;line-height:normal;text-align:center;background-image:url('
> http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/95/3761995/3838383062383633.jpg');background-repeat:no-repeat
> ;">

> Followed by text and then div and html closers.
>

> Ah, ok, that shouldn't cause the problem. Unless.. well.. is it in
MarkupPreHeader or other such tiddler? Or in PageTemplate? Or you have
manually edited the TiddlyWiki html file? (the last thing may be not that
harmless).

> I already deleted it from a wiki version, yet this did not make a
> difference regarding my problem.
>

>> - I used Dropbox to keep my wiki synchronized on two machines, but I keep
>>> Dropbox offline recently, due to space reasons
>>>

>> but your TWs are still in Dropbox folder? If so, try another one (may be
>> Dropbox prevents the folder to grow even without syncing)
>>

> I already tried to save the wiki outside of Dropbox. I copied it and
> pasted it in another folder on my PC, but still, same problem.
>

> Is there FireFox version for OS X?
>>

> There is and I tried it in Firefox as well, but it was no use.
>
> With TiddlyFox [1]?

Also, have you tried TiddlyDesktop?

As I'm not familiar with OS X and can't test anything, I suggest you to try
[1] and [2] first, but also write here your whole "assembly":

OS X version
Java version
browser version
TW version
TiddlySaver.. "version".. well, attach it here at least
list of modified shadow tiddlers
list of tiddlers tagged systemConfig
(or, to reduce the complexity, try to save in an empty TW of latest version
and probably latest Java and latest TiddlySaver)

regardless of whether you succeed with [1] or [2], this info will be useful
for a more consistent solution/fix for other users (may be it deserves
creating a ticket at GitHub [3]).

Best regards,
Yakov.

[1] https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/TiddlyFox