Comments:

1. Don't be too hard on yourself about choices made. All of the
possibilities - documentation, new features, bug fixes, helping people who
are stuck on a use case problem - all of it is worthwhile. And while you
are so productive as to seem omnipresent at times, you are still one finite
being and can't do it all.

2. There was a book I saw in Barnes and Nobles earlier this year, I think
it may have been called The One Thing, or something similar. But the
author's point was that we should focus our efforts on the one thing that
will make everything else either easier or unnecessary. I think a clear
roadmap for new users, and everyone, on where to find this (e.g. Plugin
list mechanism) and how to use that (documentation and examples) is
something that could save you and others time and energy later, because you
won't have to spend as much time explaining things, you can just paste a
link to the instructions.

3. I am glad Eric is doing his book series, and I have already donated
because it will be really valuable. And while I am currently too busy to do
much writing for you - my work responsibilities grew dramatically starting
in September - I did manage to sneak in some documentation yesterday.
Hopefully that was helpful, though it probably needs some cleaning up. And
hopefully here and there I can help you out some more, either with
documentation or at least reviewing what there is and writing up
suggestions of areas where documentation is needed or needs to be clearer.
And others have done some how tos that may also help you see what is
needed. Anyway, my point is that you are not alone. I second the others in
giving a +1 to your plan to put the brakes on new features and do some
consolidating and explaining of what is already there, but I also second
those who say it should fall primarily on us, the TiddlyWiki community.

4. You may think about a two level plugin list: the top part would list the
plugins that are officially sanctioned and compatible with the latest
release. The bottom part could be a growing list of webpages where
individuals have stored there plugins and goodies they have created for TW
but that may or may not continue to be compatible.

5. Don't feel too bad about TiddlyWiki looking like voodoo. It is a highly
customizable tool with limitless functional possibilities that positively
screams at the user, "Create something totally new with me! Combine my
filter operators and features in a new way!". I doubt the documentation
will ever be sufficient to explain every possible use case. I have played
around with it quite a bit, and I still scratch my head at things like text
references and action-this or action-that. Remember that TiddlyWiki classic
was also like voodoo. The learning curve was high, which is why I created
TW for the rest of us and TiddlyVault.

6. For me, a really, really long list of examples of filters and widgets
would go a long way in helping us learn the unique language(s) of
TiddlyWiki. Seriously, these are languages for which there is no full
grammar textbook and the number of native speakers are limited. Even when I
know what I want to do and get the general idea of what a widget or list
filter is for, I have trouble writing [tag[tags]tagged[!is]!all[sort]] so
that it works like I see it in my imagination. For TiddlyWiki classic I
constantly returned to Abego Extensions because it had a long list of
possible forEachFilter examples. Seeing and comparing the examples was how
I learned to use it. But with TW5 there still aren't enough examples out
there, so I have to fiddle and fiddle and finally get on the Google group
and just ask. So a long list of representative examples would go a long way
toward reducing our frustration and yours.

Hope these comments are encouraging and helpful. Blessings to you and to
everyone working on these issues.

Dave