Hi Astrid,

> While it's possible to use double square brackets to delimit a macro
> parameter, these are merely an alternative for quotes. They have no link
> semantics.

Not intrinsically, that is true...
as parameters they're just another way to enclose string literals.
However, in general, that's how they're used, not just in internal / pretty
links.

For example, given `\define emphasis(_) //$_$//`, the call `<<emphasis
> [[Target Tiddler]]>>` returns `//Target Tiddler//` rather than any kind of
> link to Target Tiddler.

Sure, but I wouldn't write it that way if emphasis was the purpose of my
macro.
Then I would use it like <<emphasis "some string">> ...and that's how it
should be recommended.

> I believe a macro parameter is *always* a mere string of characters, no
> matter how it's passed.

Even if you use the $macrocall widget,

>   <$macrocall $name=emphasis _="[[Target Tiddler]]"/>
>
> the parameter remains a string, in this case `[[Target Tiddler]]`.

While technically correct,
that looks like poor use of double square brackets to me...
and not what anyone would intrinsically do just to emphasize text,
rather than a link... it's entirely confusing markup.

The issue is that macros are dynamic, so they're not really suitable
> candidates for the rapid indexing relied on by things like [backlinks[]]
> and [all[orphans]].

Sometimes, it is vital to be aware of those references, something where TWc
also fell short.
There could well be a recommendation to always use single or double quotes
or triple double quotes for strings
and reserve double square brackets for tiddler titles only.

I wonder if the message "No tiddlers link to this one" on the References tab

ought to say "No tiddlers contain static links to this one"?

Perhaps "tiddler-links", or TiddlyLinks but not "static links".

Best wishes, Tobias.