I think there needs to be a different way, Also for tags. I think the
existing tc-tagged- mechanism is extremely inconvenient, because it doesn't
handle special characters well.

I did a test with a new ta-title attribute in the ViewTemplate. See the
attached file.

It modifies the ViewTemplate and adds a ta-title attribute, which can be
used to style tiddlers based on their real title. It seems there is no url
encoding needed and the attribute selector allows to select attributes in a
very felxible way.

for reference material see:

   -
   https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/Guide/CSS/Getting_started/Selectors
   - https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/Attribute_selectors
   - spec: https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#attribute-selectors

It seems the CSS specification allows special characters int attribute
values.

have fun!
mario

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/2a54f6d8-1061-4d5e-bc6b-3d81261faad5%40googlegroups.com.