As Jeremy suggested, I did change the html attribute name to "data-*". It
actually seems to be designed with our usecase in mind. So the CSS handling
should be optimized already and there are some other nice side effects.

The generic browser javascript api seems to be demanding, but that's not
important for our usecase, since we store our dynamic data in tiddlers and
not in the DOM. So we should be good here.

I did also test tiddlers with special chars and a Cyrillic tiddler title.
It seems to work well. See the attachment. Please test and report back!

have fun!
mario

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/ea944987-6cab-48c0-a55b-b2cc7214b34f%40googlegroups.com.