Hi Dave,

If you have your own server, you might be able to add SSL. SSL requires a
certificate, which used to run $100 a year. Some hosts will let you use a
shared one that works for everyone on the machine. Or you can generate your
own uncertified one. An uncertified certificate will cause your browser to
generate alarming messages but you just add them as a permanent exception
to your browser and then you're good to go. An uncertified certificate will
encrypt your traffic just as well as a certified one, it's just that your
browser doesn't have a chain of trust back to the uncertified one.

You mentioned that your Wordpress account got hacked, and I notice that a
lot of people are suggesting .htaccess as a security step for WP.  In some
systems you can add .htaccess straight from your account control panel. In
others, you have to add a .htaccess file directly to the directory you want
protected. The .htaccess file gives instructions to the server to not let
anyone access files in a directory unless they have the right name and
password. When you first attempt to browse a directory with this security
on it a pop-up menu will ask for your name and password. After that (if
memory serves) your name and password will be stored in cookies on your
browser so you don't have to do it over and over again. .htaccess security
is not invincible -- on some systems the actual password maximum is only 8
characters. But if coupled with SSL, most hackers aren't going to take the
time to brute force it. There's much easier places for them to plant their
spam.

HTH
Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/a3f22134-533b-4254-b607-64eb08201c9c%40googlegroups.com.