Ciao Jeremy & tutti,

Jeremy Ruston wrote:

> To kick off, for a long time my ambition for migrating from Google Groups
> has been to eat our own dog food and move to a TiddlyWiki-based discussion
> board...

Brilliant. The only problem is the starving dog :-). The downside is whilst
we wait *Rover has a bit of a lean time* :-).

> Josiah’s original question was whether it was worth keeping the
> TiddlyWikiDocs and TiddlyWikiDev groups because they seem peripheral...
>
> I’m not sure that I can see any case for closing them.

Actually I agree--but weakly. Meaning, I don't think it does harm having
them. But I still don't think it adds anything. For the life of me I can't
find a single post on TiddlyWikiDev that I haven't seen the like of in the
TiddlyWiki GG. And TiddlyWikiDocs is largely unused.

> ... a critical thing is that in a classical open source project these are
> mailing lists, and not forums.

That is REALLY INTERESTING COMMENT. I do not get this GG through Email. To
me IT IS A FORUM.

Because I view it as an online forum, maybe you can see now why I attach
more relevance to Pinned threads etc than someone who gets it all through
email.

I think its important to understand that GG is NOT just a mailing list.
This has some bearing on current issues.

> ... I am preparing an update for TiddlyDesktop with the latest version of
> nw.js, so that will remain an option for Firefox refugees

Noted. I apologise for referring to it a few times as "Retired". I
genuinely formed the idea that TiddlyServer was its nemesis.

> * ... Stack Exchange could only host a component of our online community

Agree. StackExchange, also, I find, illustrates a negative "numbers game".
The very robust TW community still has trouble there because of our low
numbers. That makes it hard to get momentum to get it to work. So, in that
sense, we are victims of its restrictive volume rules.

> * Josiah’s comments about "HERE IS THE SCREENPLAY MAKER" & "THERE IS THE
> BRILLIANT GTD SYSTEM” suggest that we’ve not done a good job of
> communicating the purpose of “editions” of TiddlyWiki. The intention is
> precisely as described: a series of canned, off-the-shelf starter wikis for
> various specific purposes. The presentation isn’t good at the moment but
> that particular wheel has been invented...

I think this is quite a complex issue. I'm as much as fault as anyone for
not ever having publicly released anything. I got touched with DIY-itis, so
nothing I ever make is good enough--yet--yet.

It's an issue I hope we can collectively consider more. I'm convinced there
is great work in the wings that if it were more visible would help newbies
grasp what TW can do for them.

> * Josiah suggests catering for the needs of newbies to TiddlyWiki is with
> a dedicated discussion group ... it’s even more important that we cater for
> newbies at tiddlywiki.com.

One small point on this. The BRIDGE between GG & tiddlywiki.com is perhaps
not quite as clear as it could be on the GG end.

For instance, the header for the group does not give the address of
tiddlywiki.com . And there is not a single pinned thread saying WELCOME in
the GG group that points back to tiddlywiki.com for beginners.

> * There’s often a feeling that making changes to tiddlywiki.com isn’t
> practical, which I think is why we’re discussing using pinned threads to
> solve problems that should really be solved on the main site.  I’m very
> much open to contributions that make changes, but those contributions have
> to happen…

Yes. I think part of this is there is no real clear BRIDGE mechanism
between the two to clarify (a) HOW to do it; (b) WHAT is valuable to prep,
what is NEEDED. Its pretty obvious that a LOT of things written into this
GG daily are proto-documentation. But some mechanism is needed to point to
the valuable ones. Its erroneous to believe people will point to
themselves--so I think one needs a thread to PROMOTE THIS to list things
worth working up into documentation. I just don't believe good docs arise
from nowhere. It needs a framework of intent & need.

Best wishes
Josiah

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0ec6604d-0c8a-40b2-b897-735753b9bf9e%40googlegroups.com.