On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 7:47:48 PM UTC-7, Jon wrote:

> Firefox is going sideways and the old Firefox Tiddly extension for saving
>> in the new Firefox 57 doesn't work.
>>
> With Firefox 57, sharing a TW is officially dead, unless you only want to
> share with savvy users who can be persuaded to install Pale Moon (plus an
> extension) or TiddlyServer (yikes).

I realize that many people seem to have an aversion to using the TWCore
built-in "download saver".... but it DOES work... on nearly ALL browsers.
Sure... it's not a "one click to save" solution, but with a few simple
settings, it is actually quite useful.  For example, I use Chrome.  I can
set the "download location" (Settings > Advanced > Download) to "Ask where
to save each file before downloading".  When saving for the first time, I
can select the folder containing my single-file TiddlyWiki.  That folder
location is remembered and re-used for later saving.

While I am working on changes, I can save at any time, selecting the
currently opened filename (e.g., "myfile.html") and it will prompt to
confirm overwrite (ok/cancel).  Alternatively, I can let the browser
automatically add the "(n)" suffix to the current filename, effectively
creating "checkpoints" while I work, and then remove the suffix to
overwrite the original file only when I am satisfied with all my changes.
If a reload is needed to load changes to plugin code, I can save and then
open the most recent checkpoint file in another tab, allowing me to verify
that the changes are loading correctly, and continue working with the newly
changed code.  When I am certain of the changes, I can then save again,
overwriting the original file.

I also use the "download saver" when trying out new things.  I just open
http://tiddlywiki.com/empty.html, create a few "test" tiddlers, and then
save the changes to a local file, where I can continue as above.... and I
use the same procedure to try out other posted TWs, regardless of hosting.
I simply visit the URL, and 'save changes' to download a copy, and then
continue with the locally-saved copy.

If I am saving to TiddlySpot, I can set the URL and password (using the
built-in TW setup), and then use "save changes" to upload the file.  To
revert to local saving, I just clear the TiddlySpot URL, and the "save
changes" command then saves locally again.

I agree, it's not the MOST elegant process at times, and there are some
variations in the setup depending on your browser of choice, but once you
have it set, the process is consistent and reliable... and it doesn't
require ANY additional  installation of browser plugins, local servers,
etc.  It even works on my Android tablet (though you can't change the
default download location, so everything is put into the "Downloads"
folder) and it's pretty much future-proof against the whims of the browser
developers, unless they decide to eliminate downloading altogether (which
is highly unlikely).

enjoy,
-e
Eric Shulman
TiddlyTools.com: "Small Tools for Big Ideas" (tm)
InsideTiddlyWiki: The Missing Manuals

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/11c49ce5-e731-4c70-b5c5-8eab6504b2ef%40googlegroups.com.