On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 4:39:17 AM UTC-8, Schorschi wrote:

> I'm using TiddlyWiki classic. When I save an edited TiddlyWiki file using
> the browser's Ctrl-S shortcut, then close, then reopen the file, I get a
> message that the file “has been incorrectly saved“.

Simply put, you must NEVER use the browser's Ctrl-S shortcut.  It does not
save the TiddlyWiki Classic file correctly because it is saving the current
"runtime" page content, which is dynamically generated at load time from
the original TW saved file content.  These are not the same.  You must
ALWAYS use the TW-provided "save changes" link from the sidebar.

> This happens in Firefox (56.0.1) and Chrome (62.0.3202.62).

What am I doing wrong and/or how can I prevent or rectify the duplication
> of backstage links and areas?

Unfortunately, the current versions of Firefox and Chrome no longer support
the "local file I/O" functions that TiddlyWiki Classic makes use of.  If
you are using the last revision of TiddlyWiki Classic (v2.8.1), then it
includes a version of the "download saver", which DOES still work, by using
the brower's "download a file" mechanism to save the file, even if you are
working on a locally-stored file.

Unless you are heavily-invested in using TiddlyWiki Classic, then I
strongly encourage you to switch to using TiddlyWiki5 (the current release
of TiddlyWiki), which ALSO provides the built-in "download saver" process,
but is still actively maintained, and has numerous other methods for
saving, depending upon your browser and system configuration.

To migrate your content from TWClassic to TW5, first open
http://tiddlywiki.com/empty.html

Then, drag your current TWClassic file onto the opened TW5 instance.  When
the green "drop here" bar appears at the top of the page, drop your file.
You should then be prompted to "import" the tiddlers from the TWClassic
file into the TW5 instance.  Press the "import" button, and all of your
tiddlers will be added to the open TW5.  You can then use the "save
changes" icon in the sidebar (the circled checkmark) to invoke the TW5
"download saver" to get a local copy of the TW5 with all your content
tiddlers.

Note that there is significant differences in the syntax of tiddlers
between TWClassic and TW5, and you will have to manually convert each
tiddler to the new syntax, which can be a tedious (and somewhat
error-prone) process.  Also note that TWC does NOT support old TWClassic
plugins, none of your installed customizations will work, even after
converting your content to TW5 format... but at least your *content* can be
"rescued".

Sorry for the bad news.  Hope this helps.

enjoy,
-e
Eric Shulman
TiddlyTools.com: "Small Tools for Big Ideas" (tm)
InsideTiddlyWiki: The Missing Manuals

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/b59cd4c6-ea69-4164-923e-2b34c5bd4eed%40googlegroups.com.