One consequence of Markdown and other markups is its kinda, inadvertently,
supporting an incorrect idea about writing and the nature of most
documents.

The point is that most of them *assume that we need to ADD EXPLICIT MARKUP
in order to render texts correctly*. The underlying idea is that "all
documents are equally unstructured" so need markup help.

That is COMPLETELY INCORRECT.

Most documents folk write are within a TYPE that is already structured
according to conventions. Parsers, given the correct document TYPE, can
usually render a document correctly WITHOUT explicit markup. Markup ONLY
being needed to force compliance when a section of text breaks the standard
layout of the type.

A very good example of this is screenplays. Their plain text typed layout
already mostly determines how (IMPLICITLY) they should be "marked up" for
render. The Fountain Syntax <https://fountain.io/syntax> for marking up
screenplays is perhaps the best public example of a brilliant "Minimalist
Markup"--mostly you need to add nothing explicit because the work is done
simply by analysing the layout of the document.

Other examples would be most novels, much poetry and sophisticated legal
documents.

These kinds of cases we should be able to support directly in TW quite
easily, I think.

Thoughts
Josiah

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/152a0cfb-fe47-446a-9f60-87967007f64c%40googlegroups.com.