Mark,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the involvement and enthusiasm you guys
show for TW.

The code you provided is a great hint, and fewer resources is always a good
thing.  The resource usage issue is good to know, as the point of a tool
like this is agile information transfer.  One of the things I liked about
the TWRocketDock implementation was its ability to create new tiddlers on
the fly, and edit as you go.  Combining this capacity with the TWO
outlining capability in a separate window would be a killer research/note
taking tool.

The main features in Dynalist are free, including list/outline
functionality we're considering here.  I totally agree with you about the
price of the paid product, and I won't be subscribing any time soon.  That
said, even some of the paid features can be accomplished in TW right now -
if one has the technical aptitude.  Dynalist is exactly the kind of a
refined product I'm talking about being implemented in TW that would easily
draw new people.

I completely agree with you about a tree or outline structure being
important to an app like TW (or Evernote, or ...).  I think that combining
TWO with capabilities like those demonstrated in the Rearranger,
SlidesnStories, and SidebarExporter plugins I mentioned makes TW an
Evernote and Dynalist killer (for me, at least), especially as you
mentioned, when combined with TiddlyWiki in the Sky capabilities or similar
access methods.

I think you're absolutely right - starting with a particular end product in
mind is vital for the kind of functionality I'm talking about.  In fact,
I'd go farther and say that a suite of "products", meaning two or three
types of TiddlyWikis, each able to interact on and reference the data from
the other's tiddlers would be possible, if the project were properly
coordinated.  This is exactly the kind of project I was alluding to.  The
problem with my little fantasy is that (from the perspective of a non-coder
on the outside looking in), a project like TiddlyWiki, and it's resulting
thousand other little plugins, is a bit like herding cats.

You're right, many of these things are based on 3rd party JS libraries that
are incompatible, but I'm not convinced that's the largest hurdle.  Each
TiddlyWiki "app" in my fantasy project could integrate the libraries
necessary for that app, but the common thread between every TiddlyWiki
implementation is *the tiddler*.  The much more serious problem from my
perspective is a lack of commonality in data structures within the tiddlers
- unique field names, tag names, and schemes for handling this data in each
individual plugin.  I'd suggest that this is the larger hurdle in crafting
a more unified "app" based on TiddlyWiki.  At least that's been the primary
hurdle for me while trying to incorporate pieces from various developers
code.

That said, I do think that getting the various developers to work together
on common standards for a given "application" would largely solve the
integration problems I have.  I can't see any reason the data structure
used in Dropboard and TiddlyMap couldn't be integrated in a common way, for
example.  While one may have extended sets of fields or tags that the other
doesn't utilize (and vice versa), if they each began with a common set,
there's great potential for interaction and interoperability on the same
data set (tiddlers).  That would also lead to the potential for the
"application suite" of compatible TiddlyWikis customized to specific
purposes as I described in my last post.

In any case, thank you for that useful snippet of code and the discussion.
I really do appreciate your work, and that of the other devs working in
their own areas of interest.  I look forward to seeing any further
development of the TWO idea, as I think it is an indispensable capability
for apps like TiddlyWiki.

thanks again
Greg

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/3b9502e8-3efc-483a-be69-f6daeb821517%40googlegroups.com.