The primary practical point under discussion is whether the existing
tickets should be transferred from Trac into GitHub's issue system. I
share Chris's concern that this is a potentially big job to automate,
and I would find it hard to justify undertaking it.

I would favour freezing Trac and Subversion, without making any
attempt at an automated transfer of information, and encourage
individuals to raise new tickets for the issues that are fixable,
given Martin's criteria above.

Cheers

Jeremy

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 2:46 PM, rakugo <jdlrob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 10:08 pm, Tobias Beer <beertob...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Somewhere along this thread I read that the discussion is about some
>> +-300 active issues. I would suggest that someone (preferably
>> @Osmosoft) took a few days to browse through them... prioritize the
>> issues (by a beforehand agreed upon evaluation scheme) - see Martin's
>> points - and move whatever is deemed important enough to the new
>> system ...not waiting for anyone else - perhaps new to tw-and-its-
>> shiny-new-git-thingy - to be searching through abandoned (trac)
>> archives for some unresolved backlogs.
>
> I agree with this apart from the "Osmosoft" doing this. We are an open
> source project and should act like it. The issues list is quite simply
> too big. As Martin points out some of those issues have changes that
> will break backwards compatibility, these are not actionable and
> should be recorded somewhere other than an issues list. A developer
> wiki or some other system.
>
> What might be a good idea is to collaboratively as a community review
> these trac tickets. We could imagine setting up a TiddlySpace which
> has imported all the trac tickets where any registered member (or any
> interested TiddlyWiki community member) can review the tickets CREATE/
> AMEND but not DELETE. We could imagine using conventions such as
> adding a tag "discard", "needswork" or "keep" to each of these
> tickets. After this process any tagged discard, we delete, any that
> have been tagged needswork are improved, any tagged keep are migrated
> to github.
>
> I think a transparent review system like the above will help here.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jer...@osmosoft.com