Hello,

I'm trying to understand how to program the TW - right now what I'm doing
is reading the source of individual tiddlers and guessing what the
code means.

This is a rather time consuming process, and unsatisfactory, to the
extent that if something works, I'm not sure if it works because I
accidentally got it right or by design.

Even simple things like 'can I have white space' is unclear to me.

I observed by investigation that <<tag "About">> gives me
a "tag button" (is that what its called) but
<< tag "About">> does not -- but now I don't know if white space
following "<<" is a bug in the implementation, which I should chase
up or is by design.

So what I'd like is a accurate description of the tiddler language.

What would help is a line by line commentary of some typical
code.

I was trying to make a button which when clicked would open
today's journal entry.

I found this code: (it's as is and unformatted since I
don't know when I can add white space or even line feeds)

\define journalButton()
<$button tooltip={{$:/language/Buttons/NewJournal/Hint}}
aria-label={{$:/language/Buttons/NewJournal/Caption}}
class=<<tv-config-toolbar-class>>>
<$action-sendmessage $message="tm-new-tiddler" title=<<now
"$(journalTitleTemplate)$">> tags="$(journalTags)$" text="$(journalText)$"/>
<$list filter="[<tv-config-toolbar-icons>prefix[yes]]">
{{$:/core/images/new-journal-button}}
</$list>
<$list filter="[<tv-config-toolbar-text>prefix[yes]]">
text={{$:/language/Buttons/NewJournal/Caption}}/></span>
</$list>
</$button>
\end
<$set name="journalTitleTemplate" value={{$:/config/NewJournal/Title}}>
<$set name="journalTags" value={{$:/config/NewJournal/Tags}}>
<$set name="journalText" value={{$:/config/NewJournal/Text}}>
<<journalButton>>
</$set></$set></$set>

I guess that

\define journalButton()
\end

defines a macro -- and that <<journalButton>> evaluates the macro

I suppose that

<$button tooltip={{$:/language/Buttons/NewJournal/Hint}}

transcludes the value of the the hint when the
when the macro is evaluated (or is it when the macro is defined)

I'm also not sure about what $set does - seems to manipulate some
variables.

I'm unsure as the lifetime of this journalButton object - I think
(don't know) that this tiddler is dynamically evaluated
when activated - but do the definitions outlive the activation?

I suspect I only need to understand certain core concepts
and grammar rules, but I don't like reading code and
guessing what it does.

So finally here's my question:

Are their any good write ups of the syntax and semantics of the
tiddler language? - and some annotated examples - line by line
detailed explanations. There seem to be hundreds of documents
describing simple translusion -- the {{Insert Me}} and
[[Insert Me]] kind of stuff - I get that - but the next step is confusing
me.

Cheers

/Joe

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/310ac693-ab5b-493e-9d1c-4fac590b220b%40googlegroups.com.