On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 4:52:18 PM UTC+1, joearms wrote:

> I found this code: (it's as is and unformatted since I
> don't know when I can add white space or even line feeds)
>

> \define journalButton()
> <$button tooltip={{$:/language/Buttons/NewJournal/Hint}}
> aria-label={{$:/language/Buttons/NewJournal/Caption}}
> class=<<tv-config-toolbar-class>>>

First off all: *Whitespace matters* - but not always!

That's one reason, that makes advanced TW UI based syntax "a nightmare".
That's a very early decision, which makes sense for "plain text" writers.
-> Standard users.
But for developers, it makes live much harder, since you basically need to
know the parsing rules, by heart. Which is kind of impossible.

In "user-mode" separating 2 paragraphs only needs 2 "carriage returns" and
a paragraph will be created, which is simple.
Have a look at the "Wikitext link from the other post"

Parsing the wiki-syntax has 2 modes:

 - Inline-mode which is used for eg: ''bold'' or //italic// and
 - Block-mode which is used for eg: paragraphs, bullet lists, numbered
lists and so on.

A basic rule for UI developers is: Everything needs to be inline,

 ... because "whitespace matters" also for UI stuff :/.

And ATM backwards compatibility forces us to keep it that way for some more
time. ... With V5.1.15 a \whitespace trim  option was implemented, which
should improve the situation in the future. ... If someone rewrites the
core UI in a readable way, with out breaking the whole thing. ... So time
will tell.

using \whitespace trim with macros needs to be activated per macro and
looks like this:

\define macro-name()
\whitespcae trim
... your code here ...
\end

You can make your code more readable. ... BUT some widgets will need a
"mode=block" parameter, since the default for widgets is "mode=inline" !!!!!

The negated version is:

\whitespcae notrim

Also see: pragmas <https://tiddlywiki.com/#Pragma>.

-mario