Hi Mat

The system tags like $:/tags/ViewTemplate are implemented by a fragment of
wikitext like this:

<$list filter="[all[shadows+tiddlers]tag[$:/tags/ViewTemplate]!has[draft.of]]"
variable="listItem"><$transclude tiddler=<<listItem>>/></$list>

It sounds like your OP is a proposal to make that construction pervasive by
effectively turning every transclusion within the core templates into an
instance of that construction.

On the face of it, the problem is that each of those transclusions would have
to get a little more complicated in order to include information about the
system tag that is to be used to extend it.

Another issue is that pulling in tiddlers by tag is significantly less
efficient than transcluding a single tiddler. Therefore we don’t want to pay
the price for that work unless we need it. That means that we need to
explicitly mark up the transclusions that should be extensible in this manner,
which brings us straight back to the present way of things.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/8B4AAA29-9730-4F84-8F0F-36ADF967EF71%40gmail.com.