That's not really a surprise. Alone the hermetically sealed flatpack housings don't make these a bargain...

There's nothing wrong with building your own.

Btw. there was an article in the German 'UKW-Berichte' (VHF Communications) 4/1977 featuring a two stage BFT66 + BFR34A Norton amp for 144 and 432 MHz.

Adrian