On 01/16/2012 02:13 AM, Tom Harris wrote:
Actually a friend who lived in Rome proposed a new European definition of
the nanosecond as the time between the lights going green and the sound of
the horn of the car behind you. I still remember driving in the rushhour in
Rome, now _that_ was scary.

And here I thought the femtofourthnight was a satisfactory solution. When in Turin I took the cab... and well, it was a fascinating experience.

However, just the rising slope of the sound-wave will be slow enough to make ns precision measurements um... interesting.