On 1/16/12 6:47 AM, Timeok wrote:
please, before write look in your home than respect other people.
thanks

Luciano

Luciano's point is well taken. Every place has it's idiosyncratic driving things. Some are more different than others. I found Rome to be fairly well disciplined for a big city. I'd sooner step off the curb into the road reading a paper and not looking in Rome than New York, that's for sure.

I think there is a general trend that warmer countries have wilder driving just because there's more opportunity for driving and more cars (because they last longer?). And to a certain extent, more driving leads to a familiarity with local customs, which may diverge from one's home area.

I drive in Los Angeles, and it's nothing here to be in tightly packed 75 mi/hr (120 km/hr) platoons zooming about merging and splitting in 4 way interchanges, but we have relatively little of the 5 lanes squeezing down to 2 like you find in the US NorthEast (Boston, I'm looking at you). So people from back east find winding through the mountains at 65 mi/hr a bit trying, but have no problem in downtown LA.

The other thing is signage. Everybody does their signs a bit differently (even in the US), so your plan-ahead navigation tends to get screwed up, even if the immediate vehicle management is ok. That tends to make driving in a foreign country a bit more exciting.