Hi John,

I don't think you quite got it yet. All of those types of "Dongles" have no frontend filtering and no gain control (AGC). Basically it is a "diode" (so to speak) looking at the spectrum from DC to Daylight, even though they have a limited range. So, yes, there will be birdies and aliasing issues. There is no software from a unit's manufacturer for the "All Frequency" observation mode that Amateur radio and other hobbyists are using it for.

Aside from all that , they do come in a plastic case and there is some excelent control software, notably Simon Browns HDSDR, that can control a number of these types of umits. As for spectrum software, the best one is Spectrum Labs which can take I/Q input. See the respective web sites for more information. Both of these packages are FREE.

http://www.hdsdr.de/hardware.html   The SDR software hardware page

http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html    The Spectrum Lab software.

Bill....WB6BNQ

J. Forster wrote:

OK. Thanks everybody. Can you please reccomend a make/model?

I'd like something like:

<75 to >1300 MHz
USB
Ability to function as a crude SA.
Not crawling w/ birdies or aliasing issues.
Will run on Win XP.
Demod selecttable for all modes at all frequencies.
In a package, rather than a loose PCB.
<$150

Prefer:

SMA rather than RCA or F