Hi

On some counters, if both inputs arrive at exactly the same time, they get very
confused. The normal approach is to offset one by a few hundred ns or so. The
exact offset is fairly non-critical. It’s real value depends entirely on the
amount of drift you expect to see over the time period you are checking.

If your oscillators are off by 1 ppm, they will slip by 1 us per second. If you
want to check them for 12 days or more you will need an offset of more than one
second. If they are off by 1 ppb, then your offset could be a bit over one
millisecond to handle a 12 day run.  (12 days is roughly 1 million seconds).

Bob