Jim, Bob,

we just had the pleasure of doing exactly this aligned-1PPS measurement two
days ago. I had to measure the difference (noise) of two units that were locked
to the same source. To jump ahead, the difference was 0ns +/- about 500ps noise
range.

We used an HP 5335, no problem, it jumped back and forth by +/-1ns steps. If I
had done very long averages, it may be useful.

Next came an HP 5370A. A bit tedious to set up, but the noise floor of about
40ps was helpful, but the unit had about 200ps offset when in COM-A test mode
so needs some adjustment.

Then moved to a DTS-2070, once we found space for it and the correct
attenuators to not damage the inputs it was quit funny to see single
femtosecond resolution on a ~500ps pulse to pulse noise.

Lastly we used the HP 53132A. This was the easiest to set up. It works fine as
long as you stay within about -6ns, if you go earlier then the counter will
measure an entire second, adding one second of error from its internal time
base, and showing numbers like 0.999,999,997s. Since we were within a 1ns
window, the numbers looked almost identical to the DTS-2070 so we know we have
a good measurement.

I took the output of the 53132A and ran it through Excel and got a standard
deviation of 220ps. Not bad considering some of that was probably counter noise
and the counter has 'only' 150ps resolution if I remember correctly.

The 53132A it will be for future 1PPS to 1PPS measurements for me.

Bye,
Said

Sent From iPhone