The counter only had to run at ~50 MHz, on account of our
mode locked laser ran at that frequency.  I don't remember
what the CPLD was rated at.

Rick

On 6/5/2015 8:19 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

rich...@karlquist.com said:
I used a CPLD in a 900 GHz (that's right 900 GHz) optical sampling scope
timebase.  It was great because you just write a 17 bit counter in VHDL and
there it is.  You don't have to know anything about building digital
hardware any more (40 years of experience wasted). Nobody cares about look
ahead carry, etc.

Is that really true?  Or perhaps, what fraction of the digital design space
does it apply to?

How fast was your counter running?  How fast would it run?  Was it a simple
counter or was there enable/up/down/load type gating involved?

What would you have done if you needed to run a bit faster?  Could you buy a
faster chip?  How much more could you get with tricky logic?

I agree that modern tools and parts have allowed a lot more people to build
digital circuits.