I usually nibble away at the center of the part until it is two separate pieces. Then unsolder each piece. Clean the pads off with wick then install the new part.

Use a good sharp pair of flush cut side cutters.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Camp" <kb...@n1k.org> To: "Tom Van Baak" <t...@leapsecond.com>; "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement" <time-nuts@febo.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2016 4:24 PM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] I love the smell of tantalum in the morning

Hi

A *lot* depends on how many planes there are in that board. The weight of he copper also maters a bit. If there is enough thermal mass, you will need a pre-heat process. There are lots of ways to do it ranging from the kitchen oven to various “frame and
lightbulb” setups and on into ever more complex heating approaches.

If the hot tweezers / soldering iron / hot air tool does not reflow the solder quickly (10 seconds or less) stop. Get a pre-heat setup and try again. With proper heat you should have the part off in under 4 seconds. People don’t tend to use stopwatches when soldering. 4 seconds is quite
a while on a joint. Ten seconds is pretty much forever ….

Bob